Monday, June 2, 2008

Samuel and Tabitha Bracey

While looking at the Brunswick County Guardian Accounts for more details on Samuel’s kids I noticed that we seem to have forgotten two members of this family. Hugh Bracey and Rebecca H. Bracey. I have at least two copies of the pages of Samuel’s kids and failed to notice those two names before. Now I know my grandmother saw these pages...one of the copies was hers. Yet she left them out of the genealogy. I’m not sure why. In the 1820 Guardian Accounts the four children left have under each of their names “1/4 price of coffin in 1814 for HB.” They don’t seem to have anything on the death of Rebecca. But she would have to have died before 1820 since she is not listed in the accounts. The childrens names are also listed in a chancery suit in Brunswick County, Virginia.

Another problem I have is when Tabitha Hicks Bracey was born. She married Samuel Bracey on April 1, 1785 in Brunswick County, Virginia. According to the marriage record on ancestry.com. But my grandmother had it as 1795. The next time I am at the library I will check the records myself. I have quiet a few marriages I want to check on. The latest she could have been born is 1770 at least. And I’m not 100% convenced that the Tabitha King in TN in 1850 is her. The age doesn’t seem to fit. There is a Will for Tabitha King in TN and again I don’t believe it. Why would she leave out all of her Bracey grandkids? Did she and Benjamin King have kids after they moved to TN? If so it seems unlikely that they could have grown and had children of their own that quickly. But alas, I can’t go to TN to research it myself.

No comments: