Sunday, June 1, 2008

"Cap"

When I started working on the Bracey genealogy last month I had decided to fill in the blanks. Quite a few details were missing on a few people. Namely, Virginius Bracey, son of Paschal and Angelina Bracey. In the published genealogy, my grandmother has his name being Virginius Cameron Bracey, not even mentioning when he was born. It was like he was one of the forgotten members of the family. His entry in the genealogy is the smallest it seems. And it seems 70% of the information given is wrong. Sadly most of what my grandmother has isn't referenced so I have no idea where she got her information from....some I know are from my grandfather who loved to talk about the old days. His mother would tell him things that Mont, his father, told her about the area and his family. When looking at the Civil War records for the Bracey's, I noticed a Virginius S. Bracey, and a V.S. Bracey in the records. That's Cap. In the Riddick bible records of Nansemond County, he is listed as Virginius S. Bracy (We will forgive them for leaving out the e) I don't know where the name Cameron came from... There is a Virginius Cameron Bracey, but that is one of Caps nephews. ("Packs" son) While going through files my grandmother had on the Bracey family, I found a letter from A.W. Bracey, Sr. The first part of the page is a letter from someone in Arkansas about the Bracey family he remembered. It seems he was from Virginia and was recalling what history he knew on the Braceys. The letter had been sent to Hugh D. Bracey, Jr. in Deland, Florida. And I guess he sent it on to "Doll". The last paragraph is written by Doll. In it he gives information about his siblings. Including his brother, Caps, full name! Virginius Samuel. Judging by my grandmothers handwritting on the page saying "much of this is wrong" she had seen this page.. now why she ignored Caps name I will never know. I had yet to find a official document naming Cap as a Cameron so I will not be listing him as such. I have found more references as him being a Samuel so that is how he will remain. Sadly we don't have a family bible for Paschal... His house burned in 1916 so I'm sure the bible was lost. If it was still around we may have been able to have his correct name all along. 
Sadly, some of the Bracey genealogy has been published in a new book and in it at least twice they have made an error with his name. But it seems I am one of the few who has looked up his history. 
I have more news on Cap, but will hold off till later so I will have something to talk about. ;) Course if you go to the site it's all on there but here you can hear the back story on how the information was found.

No comments: