Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mecklenburg County, Virginia Cemeteries

For the last two months I have been working on a new project. A site dedicated to the cemeteries of Mecklenburg County, Virginia. I will have every cemetery listed on there, complete with pictures, GPS coordinates and any other information I can provide. It will be like the Brunswick County site done by John Pritchett. Right now I only have four churches from around the Bracey area listed and two private family cemeteries. I am hoping that next week I will be able to get more. It takes time to resize pictures, type up all the names and dates and index everything. I need to get the word out soon about the site so I can get peoples help in finding family cemeteries. The hardest part for me will be calling people to ask if they have a cemeteries on their land. I am not very good with talking to strangers on the phone. Or in person.

I can only imagine how many years this project will take given the size of Mecklenburg.

Winter is the best time to go looking for cemeteries. No snakes. I had thought that I would start off doing all of the church cemeteries then once they were all done I would go and find family cemeteries but then it came to me... church cemeteries are looked after far more than most private ones so it would be best to go to them in the warmer months and visit private family ones in the winter when I may have to walk through fields to get to them. 

I am also building a site for Mecklenburg County history and genealogy. I haven't had much time to work on it since I was concentrating on the cemetery site. I haven't completely decided what is to be on the site. I do know that some of the content on St. Tammany Farm will be moved over to there. Also I want to provide information to help others start or continue their research on their Mecklenburg families. I was also thinking about hosting genealogies done by others on families from Mecklenburg. I will post more on the site as I work on it and have a better idea of what the site will be about and what will be available on it. 

1 comment:

Me said...

Jennifer -

Glad to hear you are doing this. I'm sure it will be just as helpful as the Brunswick County Cemetery website.

Keep up the good work.

Keith Kirkland